Never really looked in manage.py but I did after my question, I see it
just hooks in to django and doesn't really do much itself - so it
doesn't need upgrading.

I got fed up of trying to get this to work so I moved my templates
directory so I have the following structure.

code/
-mysite/
--mysitetemplates/
--mysiteapp1/
--mysiteapp2/
--locale/
--settings.py
--manage.py
-mysitestaticmedia/

I can't say that I like doing it like this, it doesn't seem as clean,
but I get the correct django.po file.

If you have the same problem I suggest you move your template
directory.