I setup a URL that accepts any number of characters and the '+'
symbol, which works just fine.

/search/pets/dog+cat
/search/pets/turtle
/search/pets/turtle+cat+mouse

All of those URLs go to the same view. The view splits the third
argument on the '+' symbol and uses the list to do some work. The
problem is, when I call render_to_response to display the template,
Django encodes the '+' symbols in the URL. The user's address bar
shows '/search/pets/dog%2Bcat' instead of preserving the '+' symbols.

Is there a way to prevent that?