On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The problem is it looks bad! It makes the URL unreadable, which is
> what I want to prevent. For example, last.fm uses '+' symbols to
> separate band names.
>
> http://www.last.fm/music/Goo+Goo+Dolls pretty obviously takes you to
> the page for the band "Goo Goo Dolls".
>
> http://www.last.fm/music/Goo%2BGoo%2BDolls, however, is far tougher to
> pick apart by a human reader.
>
> My short answer is I want to keep my URLs human readable.

OK, so you are not actually seeing a code problem in your dispatching/views
resulting from this?  That is what I was trying to determine: whether your
code had to adapt to things coming in percent-encoded, because I didn't
think it should, and if it did, I'd want to track down why.

If you just don't like how it looks in the browser address bar, then simply
avoid having it happen.  Specify your url regex expressions so that the
trailing slash is optional, that way APPEND_SLASH never has to get involved
and issue the redirect. Wouldn't that be easier than trying to change how
APPEND_SLASH works?

Karen