I'm building a pluggable app and getting ready to push it out.  I'm
trying to figure out the best way to distribute templates and media
(css, js, images) with it.

My initial approach was to provide a "samples/templates" and "samples/
media" within the dist but outside of the app, and let implementers
decide what to take and what to put where. That requires a bit of
extra work for the implementer, but seems safe and flexible.

Then I received feedback wondering why I didn't include templates and
media inside the app. My response to this was that if someone deploys
it directly from svn, and I update a template in the repo and they svn
up, their site would be immediately affected by my template changes.
That could get messy.

On the other hand, if I don't include templates inside the app but I
update them in the repo, deploying sites might not gain the new
functionality in updated templates.

Looking at other pluggable apps, I see that many of them do include
the templates directly in the app. But since I also need to distribute
media, it gets messier still. settings.py doesn't give you a tuple for
media locations - you just get one.

And what about base.html ? Is it standard practice to include a
base.html, thus overriding the  design of the project you're installed
in, or not to? I'd like to include a bit of navigation within my app,
so it's desirable...

Basically I'm looking for some kind of "best practices" guide for the
layout of pluggable apps. Is there one ?

Thanks,
Scot