On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Faheem Mitha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Putting the following into my settings.py (checked for two different
> projects for Dango 1.0)
>
> from django.core.files.storage import Storage
>
> gives
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/django/hg$ python manage.py validate
> Error: Can't find the file 'settings.py' in the directory containing
> 'manage.py'. It appears you've customized things.
> You'll have to run django-admin.py, passing it your settings module.
> (If the file settings.py does indeed exist, it's causing an ImportError
> somehow.)
>
> Is there some reason this is not possible, or am I doing something wrong?
> Can anyone reproduce this? Please cc me on any reply.

Line 5 of django.core.files.storage looks like this:

from django.conf import settings

That means that your settings module imports Storage, which in turn
imports settings. This is known as a circular import, which is never a
good thing. So, yes, you're doing something wrong, because that
shouldn't work.

Now, the real question is: why are you trying to import Storage in
your settings.py? What is it you're trying to accomplish? You're
certainly using the wrong approach at the moment, but I can't
recommend anything else without knowing what you're trying to do.

-Gul