On Sep 24, 6:47 am, Jashugan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Did you switched from Apache + mod_python to Lighttpd + FCGI? If so,
> are you sure it wasn't a problem with mod_python versus Apache in
> general? I'm having some issues with mod_python unrelated to
> geodjango. It seems there are certain modules that work in the python
> interpreter that will cause Apache+mod_python to stall.

To explain the issue if this is indeed it, the problem is that any
third party C extension modules for Python which use the simplified
GIL API functions at C code level, cannot be used in secondary sub
interpreters in Python. If they are, they can either crash the
interpreter or cause it to dead lock. This is a limitation of the
simplified GIL API in Python and not mod_python.

If using mod_python, you can force Django to run in main interpreter
instance by setting:

  PythonInterpreter main_interpreter

This however may not completely solve the problem as mod_python still
has some bugs in it in relation to how it itself uses Python C
threading APIs. Thus, you may still see dead locks occur.

If this occurs, one option is to use mod_wsgi instead. You still have
to force application to run in main interpreter using:

  WSGIApplicationGroup %{GLOBAL}

but it doesn't have the bugs related to Python C threading APIs that
mod_python does, so should work.

As others have pointed out, you could also use FASTCGI, be it with
Apache, lighttpd or nginx.

Graham