My ModelForm has two input fields url and code, and I raise a
ValidationError if the code contains anything other than letters,
numbers and dashes. My logic looks something like this:

if form.is_valid():
return render_to_response('new.html', {'code': new.code})

if ValueError:
    if form.cleaned_data.get('url'):

All is not lost if a user enters an invalid code I still want to do
something with just the url, but I cannot get
form.cleaned_data.get('url'). Any ideas how to get the url inputted
and to clean it inside the ValueError branch of code above

Ideas?