On Wednesday, 01 October 2008 10:28:13 TiNo wrote:
> If you do all that stuff with jquery, why not have jquery hide the original
> select (or modify it for that matter), and on select of an author, have
> jquery set the selected author as 'selected' in the dropdown box? That way
> there is no need for a custom validation or insertion, and when somebody
> has js turned off, it still works like a dropdown.

I am expecting there to be at least hundreds of authors, perhaps thousands. It
makes no sense to me to stream them all into a select control in the first
place.

I am aiming for a new kind of control that let's one page/filter the foreign
keys. Frankly I am stunned that I seem to be alone in seeing the problems
inherent with this stuff.

Good idea BTW, but if the list where short enough then I'd just use the
select.

(Unless I misunderstood ya!)

\d