I'm on slicehost with one 256 slice, and one 512...running Django on
the 256 with lighttpd and my forums, email, etc on the 512 with apache
So far Django has still preformed great and when I ran load tests,
lighttpd with Django handled the load very well. We're up to about
3,000 hits per day no problem (I know...not many, but still as much as
typical personal sites get). Php-cgi on lighttpd seemed to hit its cap
and started throwing random errors though which is why I moved it off
on apache.

One nice thing is that if you find yourself needing more, you can load
balance...just get another slice, mirror your django, set up one as
the database server, change lighttpd configuration to point to two
IP's, and you're now load balancing between two django servers with
one lighttpd. (same with apache I believe)
Or increase memory and harddisk quickly if required