I figured out the problem. I used inspectdb to import my models from
an existing database. I then marked the primary_key fields with
primary_key=True, but I didn't should have also converted them from
IntegerField to AutoField. Once I did that everything worked fine. I
hope this message saves someone else from debugging in the future. For
future reference the assertion was: "invalid literal for int(): None"

Cheers,
Ben