I found the origin on my error ('NoneType' object has no attribute
'_meta').
I used a wrong (old?) syntax for adding custom Manager to my Model:
ModelClass.objects = MyCustomManager()  # After Model and Manager
definitions

My custom Manager should have been attached in the model definition
(as found in the Manager documentation):
objects = MyCustomManager()  # And manager definition had to be moved
before the Model definition

Still, my initial message is valid: there is no standard example about
custom Manager method that returns a filtered queryset :-)