On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Carl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I run the installation script I get this error:
>
> error: could not create '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/django':
> Permission denied
>
> How do I get around this?

If you're on some flavor of Unix, as you appear to be based on the path, the
instructions (
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/install/#installing-official-release)
tell you to use the command:

sudo python setup.py install

sudo is what allows you to run the command 'python setup.py install' with
permissions that let it write to system files such as
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages.

If you don't actually have permissions to write to system files, you can
"install" Django simply by un-tarring it somewhere you can write to and
setting up your PYTHONPATH environment variable to point to it.

Karen