So it ended up being the .htaccess in the root domain -
flowingdata.com, which is a wordpress domain. Here's the .htaccess:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

Any ideas on how to override that .htaccess in the subdomain..?