On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:28 AM, webcomm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 6:45 pm, Steve Holden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > webcommwrote:
> >
> > [yet again at the top of the message, so I have yet again moved the
> > response down to where it reads logically ...]
> >

> Steve,
> re: top-posting, I am using the web interface for Google groups, which
> seems to encourage top-posting... because when I click reply, it puts
> the cursor at the top of the message, with the quote below.  I'll try
> to remember to move the cursor down and move the quote up.  Maybe
> there is a setting in Google groups where I can change things so that
> when I click reply, my cursor appears below the quote?  Or maybe that
> is a group-wide setting?  I guess such a setting would be a nice
> feature in Google groups but I don't know if it exists.  I had never
> heard the term "top-posting" prior to this thread.

There is no group setting to fix this.  Yes, Google in general seems to
encourage top-posting, as Gmail has the same behavior.  For some types of
conversations this may be OK, but for technical exchanges where clarity of
what is being responded to is key, it is very bad. People will appreciate it
if you make the effort to put your text where it most logically flows (might
be bottom, might be inline, might even at some times be top) despite the
tool's annoying behavior of encouraging top-always.

Karen