Thanks Malcolm,

That was so much easier than I was expecting:

class ItemOptions(admin.ModelAdmin):
    def changelist_view(self, request, extra_context=None):
        self.list_display = request.session['item_columns']
        return super(ItemOptions, self).changelist_view(request,
extra_context)

Incidentally - while reading around it I found this page which is a
treasure trove:

http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/NewformsHOWTO#Q:HowdoIaddanextracolumntothechangelistview

If anyone ever want to expands the 'customising the admin' sections of
the docs then that's the page to look at.

Andy