It's unlikely I will be able to add much after Russ, but I will
suggest a book that has helped me a GREAT deal in support of the IDE-
approach:

Foundations of Agile Python Development:
http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Python-Development-Experts-Source/dp/1590599810

It goes step-by-step over subversion and eclipse and pydev. It covers
windows and linux though the author uses linux. I was able to use
everything on Windows just fine but I HAVE migrated to linux since
then (painful but possible)...

Good luck and while I'm not much less new than you, I can say with
sincerity, WELCOME!

Keyton