Do you mean when a user is added via the admin interface, or when a
user registers on the site through a view you have set up?  If it's
through a view you've made, then just add the call to send_mail() in
the view.  For the admin site, you'll want to look at signals:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/signals/

-Jeff