If I do this in admin.py

class UnitAdminModelForm(forms.ModelForm):
    optional_field = forms.CharField(widget=WYMEditor())

    class Meta:
        model = Unit

"optional_field" becomes a required field in the Admin. I assume
something is overriding the model's blank=True for this field.

If it helps I can paste the WYMEditor() class too...

All I want to do is render this particular field with a rich text
editor, which I used to do by adding a class to each field, but that
meant putting js =('jsfiles.js') everywhere. I thought this would be a
much cleaner method, as widgets can carry their own media files.

Andrew.