On 06.01-08:03, dchandek wrote:
[ ... ]
>> i would be against unifying the options as i can imagine a more complex
>> environment (i.e. a database trigger or complex type not known to
>> django) where there may be a distinction and i believe the current
>> distinction is a clear one.  it may be worthwile to imply that setting
>> 'null=True' also sets 'blank=True' unless explictly overridden with
>> 'blank=False'.  however, the converse implication is faulty (i.e.
>> 'blank=True' != 'null=True') because 'blank' relates to the admin
>> interface, whereas 'null' refers to the data model.  it is correct to
>> imply the interface and formatting from the data model but not to
>> imply the data contraints from the interface. IMHO.
>
> The only gotcha I've encountered here is that practically speaking
> null=True requires blank=True. I'm not sure I'd want that setting to
> be automatic, though. It seems silly, for example, to have to set
> blank=True in order for a non-value in a ForeignKey to validate, since
> a blank value makes no sense. But shouldn't this be addressed in the
> validation code?

i believe we are in agreement here but perhaps i may not be explaining
myself sufficiently.  you shouldn't set 'blank=True', you would set
'null=True'.  this would (by default only) set 'blank=True' such that
the validation would allow it to be blank as well as 'null'.  a user
could of course override this to set 'blank=False' if they desired.