Thanks for that clarification.  I am finding that a lot of assumptions
are made in the documentation about previous knowledge.  The
documentation can appear very confusing until you understand the
background, then it magically becomes blindingly obvious and helpful!
I must write down more of these moments of clarification!

Maybe starting a collection of seemingly obvious statements would be
helpful for newbies:
- django is a module for python, so a basic knowledge of python is
required, although much can be learned by looking at examples and
reading the django documentation.
- django includes a templating language that has a limited set of
commands, so python code will not work there.
- unlike php, your django code can be anywhere on the server and
apache directives (right term) are used to redirect http requests to
your urls.py and from there to the rest of your programs.
- the apache directives may be in the httpd.conf file or vhost.conf
file or other include files.  It just depends how your server is
setup.
- building querysets.  If you want to add lots of filters in seperate
lines.  eg. if x: filter on a, if y: filter on b, etc. then start by
selecting all into a new queryset and then build up additional filters
on the new queryset.

query=Car.objects.all()

if request.GET.get('transmission','Any') != "Any":
                query=query.filter(transmission=request.GET.get
('transmission','Any'))
if request.GET.get('fuels','Any') != "Any":
                query=query.filter(fuel_type=request.GET.get('fuels','Any'))
if request.GET.get('bodies','Any') != "Any":
                query=query.filter(body_type=request.GET.get('bodies','Any'))

etc...