There's not really much needed to get captcha or recaptcha working
with django, mostly just a class or two. When I was using recaptcha I
found that this module:
http://code.google.com/p/recaptcha-django/
did most of what I needed. If you're shopping, however, I'd recommend
Akismet (http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/akismet_python.html). It's
less intrusive for the user, and pretty impressively accurate. I've
never had a false positive, and only two false negatives out of maybe
five hundred spam messages. Coupled with a cronjob that deletes marked
spam once it's a day old or so, this has more or less solved the spam
problem for me.

YMMV,