On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 5:27 PM, phoebebright <phoebebri...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> I have a problem with the sql being generated by this:
>
>    tasks = Task.objects.filter(status='open').order_by('-priority')
>    tasks = tasks.extra(where=['list IN %s'], params=
> [settings.MY_LISTS])
>
> Is there a command where I can say something like 'print tasks.sql'
> that would generate the sql but not send it to the database, so I can
> see exactly why the sql is failing?

First, you can try what's suggested at this Django FAQ entry:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/faq/models/#how-can-i-see-the-raw-sql-queries-django-is-running

For another option, try printing the output of:

<QuerySet instance>.query.as_sql()

or if you are using a recent trunk version (more recent than two weeks or so)
you might want to try printing the output of:

<QuerySet instance>.as_sql()

They should print the complete SQL query generated by the
QuerySet.

Both the query  attribute  and as_sql() method are internal implementation
details of QuerySet. That's why they are not documented, but you can count
on them being present for the foreseeable future.

HTH

--
 Ramiro Morales