dj wrote:
> On Jan 23, 10:12 pm, dj <d.a.aberna...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am a Django novice, and I recently discovered the _meta methods for
>> use with models.
>> Using _meta.fields to return the field names in a model instance, the
>> current value of an instance (getattr()) and set the value (setattr
>> ()).
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone knows how to use _meta.fields to return the
>> datatype for a field in a model ?
>>
>> Your assistance is greatly appreciated :-).
>>
> It would appear there is method called get_internal_type() that maybe
> what I am looking for.
> The method is in django.db.models.Field. But I am unable to find
> anything that would tell
> me how to use the function to return the data type for a field in a
> model.
>
> m=Org()
>
> for field in m._meta.fields[1:]:
>        fields.append(str(field.name))
>        get_internal_type(field.name) - is this the correct way to call
> the method ?

[But he top-posted, so I moved his stuff down below the question].

A bit of fiddling about with the interpreter in a manage.py shell
session reveals all:

In [11]: from django.db.models import Field

In [12]: f = Field()

In [13]: f.get_internal_type()
Out[13]: 'Field'

In [14]: from django.db.models import IntegerField

In [15]: i = IntegerField()

In [16]: i.get_internal_type()
Out[16]: 'IntegerField'

And, of course, there's always

In [17]: help(i.get_internal_type)

which tells you:
"""
Help on method get_internal_type in module django.db.models.fields:

get_internal_type(self) method of django.db.models.fields.IntegerField
instance
"""

Not terrifically helpful, but at least the signature tells you no
arguments are required ...

regards
 Steve