My apologies in advance if this isn't a direct django issue but I
can't work out where the problem is coming from.

My server's system time runs Centos 5 and is set to Europe/London:

-bash-3.2$ date
Sat Jan 24 12:26:14 GMT 2009
-bash-3.2$ date -u
Sat Jan 24 12:26:17 UTC 2009
-bash-3.2$ /sbin/hwclock --show
Sat 24 Jan 2009 12:31:34 PM GMT  -0.984663 seconds

/etc/sysconfig/clock is set thusly:

ZONE="Europe/London"
UTC=true
ARC=false

My django application timezone is set to 'Europe/London':

TIME_ZONE = 'Europe/London'

The application creates a datestamp to log when an order has been
requested using datetime.datetime.now() but it and the apache logs are
still using EST, which was what the machine was set to on build (no
idea why, it's based in Germany):

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [24/Jan/2009:07:16:19 -0500] "GET /media/images/
bground_bottom_right.png HTTP/1.1" 200 116555 "http://
www.popfood.co.uk/media/css/common.css" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U;
Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120121 Firefox/3.0.5
Ubiquity/0.1.5"

The server has a Plesk control panel which provides a editable
configuration file for the domain called vhost.conf which should
override anything in the Plesk-generated config files, so I have
added
SetEnv TZ Europe/London to that and restarted apache to no effect.

I built python 2.5.2 by hand on the server as it came with 2.4 so I am
wondering if the timezone is statically set somewhere in either the
python or apache build, but does anyone have any other suggestions
related to django, python or apache as to why I can't override the
timezone setting?

Thanks
Simon