Thanks for the information, its much appreciated.

Currently we are not doing anything that special. We use Nginx as our
webserver, with the configuration set to receive large files, then
django is then sent the file and we are just using the standard method
of multiple_chunks() .

Everything on Nginx and django seems to cope really well, but the big
pain comes from the web browsers themselves. Most seem to try and load
the file in to memory before uploading. This causes a lot of problems.