Hello,

I'm receiving the following error while running Django 0.96 with
Google App Engine:

UnicodeDecodeError at /
'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe3 in position 0: ordinal not in
range(128)

GET
Request URL:    http://localhost:8080/
Exception Type:         UnicodeDecodeError
Exception Value:        'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe3 in position 0:
ordinal not in range(128)
Exception Location:     C:\Python25\lib\gettext.py in gettext, line 352

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Google\google_appengine\lib\django\django
\template\__init__.py" in render_node
  723. result = node.render(context)
File "C:\Program Files\Google\google_appengine\lib\django\django
\templatetags\i18n.py" in render
  43. return translation.gettext(value)
File "C:\Program Files\Google\google_appengine\lib\django\django\utils
\translation\trans_real.py" in gettext
  265. return t.gettext(message)
File "C:\Python25\lib\gettext.py" in gettext
  352. return tmsg.encode(self._output_charset)

  UnicodeDecodeError at /
  'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe3 in position 0: ordinal not in
range(128)

I have the following parameters set:

DEFAULT_CHARSET = 'utf-8'
FILE_CHARSET = 'utf-8'

Also, I have the following meta tag included in the page:

>From what I understand, Django will always use Unicode, so I'm a
little confused as to why it's trying to use an ASCII codec to display
the UTF-8 characters for the translations.

Any ideas? The translation files are working for the non-unicode
languages, but failing for all UTF-8 based languages. Could it be
something with the .po files being created incorrectly?