On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <freakboy3...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Rob <robgoldin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm writing a Django app to act as the front-end interface to a backup
> > application, using MySQL as the database. I need to store some
> > variables to act as the "global" settings specific to my app - like
> > UNIX backup location, etc.
> >
> > At present I have a model called Setting, with two fields - name and
> > value. The problem with this, however, is that if the project is reset
> > - as it often is at the moment as I am playing around with the models
> > a lot - all the rows in the settings table are lost, and therefore all
> > the values.
> >
> > Is there a commonly "accepted" way to achieve what I am doing here?
> > How does one store variables which don't really conform strictly to
> > the "model". I want these values to be changeable via views in the web
> > interface.
>
> There's really only two places you can store this sort of thing -
> settings files, or a model. If you put it in a settings file, it won't
> get lost in a reset, but users won't be able to change them; if you
> put them in a model, users will change them, but they will be
> susceptible to loss.
>
> If you need users to be able to change the values, then using the
> settings file obviously isn't an option. This just leaves using
> tables, and managing the reset process so you don't lose data.
>
> Django doesn't have anything built-in to make sure data isn't lost
> during a reset - mostly because the point of a reset is to lose data
> :-) However, you can use the dumpdata and loaddata management commands
> to make it easier to save and restore specific table data; you can
> also use the initial_data fixture to ensure than an application always
> has appropriate initial values.
>
> Also - I would be remiss if I didn't point you at a reusable app that
> was designed specifically for this problem:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/django-values/
>
> I haven't used it myself, but Marty is a well respected member of the
> Django community, so I'm fairly confident his code will be fairly
> usable.
>
> Yours,
> Russ Magee %-)

I don't know how well Marty maintains it, but if it doesn't work out for you
the satchmo guys have a nice fork of it that's obviously actively worked on,
so you can always use it(with minimal other bits from stachmo) if it works
better for you.

Alex

say it." --Voltaire
"The people's good is the highest law."--Cicero