Thanks, Alex,

I must misunderstand what it is for then. I got the idea from a post
where Russ Magee mentioned it as being a way to prevent auto_now
fields from being executed:

http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/167ee7bddccb4354/069a59146423d013?lnk=gst&q=auto_now#069a59146423d013

I needed to create a test that depended upon a 'date modified' field
of a model. That field used auto_now and it did not seem possible to
force a date. I have since solved the problem by moving the logic into
a custom save method but afterwards came upon the above post and
wondered if I wasn't missing something simple.

Preston