Is it bad form in Django to add "transient" instance variables to
model instances?

I'm rendering a set of search results.  Each result record is a User
instance.  I want to show whether or not each record is a friend of
the user who is conducting the search.

Right now my view is annotating each search result record to indicate
whether or not it is a friend of the requesting user.  This works, but
I'm not sure what might break as a result of adding the instance
variable:

    matched_users = User.objects.filter(...)
    friends_set = set([...])
    for u in matched_users:
        u.is_my_friend = (u.username in friends_set)

I don't need to store this information permanently.  I just want to
use it to simplify template rendering, e.g.

    {% for user in matched_users %}
            {% if user.is_my_friend %}
                {{user.username}} is already your friend.
            {% endif %}

Is there a different, recommended way to do this?  Thanks for the help!