On Apr 15, 7:49 am, Alex Loddengaard <a...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I've found several messages on this list discussing ways to send large files
> in a HttpResponse.  One can use FileWrapper, or one can use a generator and
> yield chunks of the large file.  What about the case when the large file is
> generated at HTTP request time?  In this case, it would be annoying to have
> the user wait for the page to generate the large file and then stream the
> file.  Instead we would want a way to start the HTTP response (so that the
> user gets the download dialogue), generate the large file, and then stream
> the file.  Let's take the following example:
>
> def create_tarball():
>
> >   path = create_some_big_tarball()
>
> >   chunk = None
> >   fh = open(path, 'r')
> >   while True:
> >     chunk = fh.read(1024 * 128)
> >     if chunk == '':
> >       break
> >     yield chunk
>
> > def sample_view(request):
> >   response = HttpResponse(create_tarball(),
> > mimetype='application/x-compressed')
> >   response['Content-Disposition'] = "attachment;filename=mytarball.tar.gz"
>
> The above example nearly accomplishes what we want, but it doesn't start the
> HTTP response before the tarball is created, hence making the user wait a
> long time before the download dialogue box shows up.  Let's try something
> like this (notice the addition of a noop yield):
>
> def create_tarball():
>
>   yield '' # noop to send the HTTP headers
>
> >   path = create_some_big_tarball()
>
> >   chunk = None
> >   fh = open(path, 'r')
> >   while True:
> >     chunk = fh.read(1024 * 128)
> >     if chunk == '':
> >       break
> >     yield chunk
>
> > def sample_view(request):
> >   response = HttpResponse(create_tarball(),
> > mimetype='application/x-compressed')
> >   response['Content-Disposition'] = "attachment;filename=mytarball.tar.gz"
>
> The issue with the above example is that the "yield ''" seems to be
> ignored.  HTTP headers are not sent before the tarball is created.
> Similarly, "yield ' '" and "yield None" don't work, because they corrupt the
> tarball (HttpResponse calls str() on the iterable items given to the
> HttpResponse constructor).  As a temporary solution, we're writing an empty
> gzip file in the first yield.  Our large tarball is gzipped, and since gzip
> files can be concatenated to one and other, our hack seems to be working.
> In the above example, replace the first "yield ''" with:
>
>   noop = StringIO.StringIO()
>
> >   empty = gzip.GzipFile(mode='w', fileobj=noop)
> >   empty.write("")
> >   empty.close()
> >   yield noop.getvalue()
>
> I'm wondering if there is a better way to accomplish this?  I don't quite
> understand why HTTP responses are written to stdout.  Possibly orthogonal to
> that, it seems like, in theory, yielding an empty value in the generator
> [...]

different hosting mechanisms supported, only allow a file name to be
supplied. At the WSGI level the file wrapper actually takes a file
like object. If you were doing this in raw WSGI, you could run your
tar ball creation as a separately exec'd pipeline and rather than
create a file in the file system, have tar output to the pipeline,
ie., use '-' instead of filename. The file object resulting from the
pipeline could then be used as input to the WSGI file wrapper object.

So, if this operation isn't somehow bound into needing Django itself,
and this is important to you, maybe you should create a separate
little WSGI application just for this purpose.

Actually, even if bound into needing Django you may still be able to
do it. Using mod_wsgi, you could even delegate the special WSGI
application to run in same process as Django and mount it at a URL
which appears within Django application. Because though you are side
stepping Django dispatch, you couldn't though have it be protected by
Django based form authentication.

Graham