mamco wrote:
> Hi,
> In attempting to get a better grasp of Django, I'm attempting a fairly
> simple timecard app.  Multiple users of a small chain of retail
> stores, where occasionally the employees jump between stores(company),
> and between projects and activities.
>
> The interesting model is something like this:
>
> class Timecard(models.Model):
>          employee = models.ForeignKey(Employee)
>          company = models.ForeignKey(Company)
>          project = models.ForeignKey(Project)
>          activity = models.ForeignKey(Activity)
>          start = models.DateTimeField('The start time of the shift')
>          duration = models.DecimalField('The duration of the shift in
> hours',    max_digits=4, decimal_places=2)
>          notes = models.TextField('Special Notes on the shift')
>
> I've populated it with some data from a previous system (trying to
> reproduce with Django), and I'm now trying to display a form which,
> shows a week at a time given a particular start date (which for now is
> always a Sunday).
>
> I'm trying to show
> employee, company, project  on a single line followed by the totals
> (summing the activity as its always 'default' for now) for Sun to Sat
> and a total.
>
> So something like the following (pipes show columns for this post
> purpose only):
> J Smith | BranchA | Admin | 0.0 | 4.5 | 8.0 | 8.0 | 8.0 | 8.0 | 0.0 |
> 36.5
> J Smith | BranchA | Training | 0.0 | 3.5 | 8.0 | 8.0 | 8.0 | 8.0 | 0.0
> | 36.5
>
> Being new to Python and Django, I can't seem to get a function written
> to kick this output out.  Any pointers?

I'm new to both python and django as well, but how about writing
a presentation method and mention that method in the list_display
of the admin interface, something like...

class Timecard(models.Model):
    employee...
    notes...

    def get_week_result(self):
        # make a result string like '0.0 4.5 8.0 8.0 ...etc.
        # The 'start' field contains the weekday.
        # or maybe one method for each day of the week.
        return result

class TimecardAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
    list_display = ('employee', ..., 'get_week_result')

However, the model you defined is slightly askew from your
presentation, if you want to look at a week at a time,
maybe you'd be better of defining the model/record as
being a week. Simply make things easier on yourself.

Just my 2c
/Lars Stavholm