I wrote an app that consist of an authentication backend and a single
model "Profile" (extension of auth.User).  It also has a function
which queries ldap to get user information like their manager.  We'll
call this app my_custom_backend.  The reason the Profile and
authentication are in the same app is because when a user logs in for
the first time it creates an auth.User as well as a
my_custom_backend.Profile and populates fields like cost center,
manager, phone number etc.

Another app that I have is a training application to register for
training courses offered here for engineering (Ansys, AutoCad, MathCad
etc.).

At first they were pretty separated through the use of the setting
AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE.

At the top of my models.py in the training application I had this...

PROFILE = getattr(settings, 'AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE', 'auth.User')

And then later on in my models I would have things like...

class Enrollment(models.Model):
    person = models.ForeignKey(PROFILE)
    offering = models.ForeignKey(Offering)

So depending on setting AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE it would either link to
my_custom_backend.Profile or auth.User.

Now as I start writing views and functionality I find the training app
directly depending on my_custom_backend.  Like when a user enrolls in
an offering of a course the manager needs to get emailed for approval
and finding the manager's email is provided by my_custom_backend.

Is it worth keeping them separated through the AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE
abstraction or should I just make the training app completely
dependent on my_custom_backend and directly reference
my_custom_backend.Profile from within there?

Thanks,
~Eric