I found the answer mysel. Besides having:

<Location "/site_media">
                SetHandler None
</Location>

I also needed the same for /edia which was symlinked from: /usr/local/
lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/contrib/

So now the complete (and working) file reads:

# wms.conf
Listen 192.168.1.62:80

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.62:80>
        ServerAdmin i...@wm.nl
        ServerName www.wm.nl
        ServerAlias wm.nl

        DocumentRoot /home/django/sites_django/wmssite

        <Directory "/home/django/sites_django/wmssite">
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

        <Location "/">
                SetHandler python-program # either this or the statement on the
next
line is ok
#               SetHandler mod_python
                PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
                SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE wmssite.settings
#               PythonOption django.root /
                PythonDebug On
                PythonPath
"['/home/django/sites_django/','/home/django/sites_django/
wmssite'] + sys.path"
        </Location>

#       <Location "/site_media">
#               SetHandler None
#       </Location>

#       <Location "/media">
#               SetHandler None
#       </Location>
#
# the two <Location> statements mentiond above are also ok
#
        <LocationMatch ^(/(site_media|media))>
                SetHandler None
        </LocationMatch>