Hi Chris and Lakshman,

hopefully I can compensate the "underwhelming response" a bit :-)

The first that came to mind was OpenID. It's the rapid growing
protocol being used for Signle Sign-on. It's an open standard, yeah!

There are Python/Django libraries available you can use:
http://www.openidenabled.com/python-openid/
http://code.google.com/p/django-openid/

To accept the bigger third party sites (Google, Facebook e.a.) easily
you could consider JanRain's RPX product:
https://rpxnow.com/

Please keep me posted on your progress. Good luck!

Regards, Robert-Reinder

--
I'm a Django user on www.lijst.com