> The code you have given is incapable of producing that error - request
> is passed as a parameter, so will always be defined within the
> function. Are you sure the error is coming from within the function?
> Give us the actual traceback that is being produced.
> --
> DR.

def GetRequestId(request):
    curpath=request.path
    return curpath

# setup a subclass for URL on add form which will be used by the ADD
and CLONE views.
# the purpose is ti screen for urls goign into the system (non-preview
urls) and
class ExistingUrl (forms.Field):
    def clean(self, value):

        i=GetRequestId(request)          <<<<<< error is here

        assert False, i   <<< just trying to print out the value of i
here

        rs=WebPage.objects.filter(url_slug=value)
        thislength=str(len(value))
        if rs.count()!=0:
            raise forms.ValidationError ('This URL is already in
use.')
        if not value:
            raise forms.ValidationError ('Please enter a url such as /
my-page/')
        if len(value)>254:
            raise forms.ValidationError ('254 Characters Max.  The
current length is %s'  % thislength)
        return value

Traceback being produced:

global name 'request' is not defined

Request Method:         POST
Request URL:
http://sasquatch.beta.ornlfcu.mediapulse.com/manage/content/web-pages/edit/11/
Exception Type:         NameError
Exception Value:        global name 'request' is not defined

Here's what i'm trying to do. I've got a module that allows us to add
new items and edit new items to the database.  I was going to use a
url slug which has to be unique anyway, but that will not work for
this application.  As a result i'm allowing users to enter a url path
(ie /whatever/this/page/is/) and it's being served up fine through a
middleware class I wrote to substitute for flatpges (it does more than
standard flatpages).  In my form above I'm trying to find a way to
check and see on form submission if the url has been changed to
another URL which is in the database already and not for the current
record.  That part I can handle.  I think the key to this is getting
request.path into my form field subclass above so that I can get the
record id which is passed through the url.