sky...@abc255:/$ sudo updatedb
[sudo] password for skylar:
sky...@abc255:/$ locate pg_hba.conf
/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_hba.conf
sky...@abc255:/$ sudo vim /etc/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_hba.conf

There should be some lines something like this (for local access):
local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
local   all         skylar                            ident sameuser
local   geoDjango   geoUser                           md5
local   geoPinax    geoUser                           md5
local   yourDB      yourUser                          md5

I rather like these instructions:
http://www.punteney.com/writes/setting-django-slicehost-ubuntu-hardy-postgres-apa/