I found the culprit,

http://code.djangoproject.com/svn/django/trunk/django/template/defaulttags.py
line 507:
"        if not hasattr(parser, '_namedCycleNodes'):"
Parser is template specific, but making cycle not work is stupid since
I noticed something else too, the variable *is* passed to included
template but not the knowledge how to cycle it. Thus this is possible:

list.html:
<!-- {% cycle 'odd' 'even' as rowcolors %} -->
{% include "list_item.html" %}

list_item.html
{{ rowcolors }}

That does work, but it won't cycle as one could expect.

I'm now trying to found a way to make it cycle in included template
too.