Thanks Creecode,

I discovered the new url needs to be before the urlconf to override
it.

url(r'^%saccounts/register/$' % settings.BASE_URL,
'registration.views.register', {'form_class': RegistrationWithPet},
name='registration_register'),
url(r'^%saccounts/' % settings.BASE_URL, include
('registration.urls')),

Paddy