I'm finally getting into actually testing my apps, but since Django's
test system requires a settings file, I was wondering how it was
usually handled: per-app settings file (versioned with the app?)?
Global settings file with all the apps of the system enabled? Each app
requires some kind of "settings" app which is slightly customized
every time (or not)? Going through a project every time tests are to
be run on an application?

In other words, what are the various strategies used to test
applications in project-less/app-centric Django development?