I found a sample contained in a rar archive with a media file included
(2 css and js) which the svn source does not have.
I changed my urls, forms and base.html to reflect that from the
example but when i reload the page it changes the default m2m field
with a text field with a plus sign next to it. If i try to add
something nothing happens.

Here's the example:

forms.py

from django import forms

from apps.spares.models import Category, Spare
from ajax_m2m_widget import AjaxMultiSelect

class MyForm(forms.Form):
    spares = forms.Field(widget=AjaxMultiSelect(db_field.verbose_name,
Spare, '/spares/spare/auto/'))
    categories = forms.Field(widget=AjaxMultiSelect
(db_field.verbose_name, Category, '/spares/category/auto/'))

urls.py

from django.conf.urls.defaults import *

from apps.utils.ajax_m2m_widget import auto_complete_view
from models import Spare, Category

def spare_auto_query_func(q):
    return Spare.objects.filter(name__startswith=q)

def category_auto_query_func(q):
    return Category.objects.filter(name__startswith=q)

urlpatterns = patterns('apps.spares.views',
    (r'^spare/auto/$', auto_complete_view, {'query_func':
spare_auto_query_func, 'desc_field': 'name', 'id_field': 'id'}),

    (r'^category/auto/$', auto_complete_view, {'query_func':
category_auto_query_func, 'desc_field': 'name', 'id_field': 'id'}),

last i added the fallowing to my base.html

<script src="/media/js/jquery.js"></script>
<script src="/media/js/jquery.autocomplete.js"></script>
<script src="/media/js/jquery.bgiframe.min.js"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/media/css/jquery.autocomplete.css"/>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/media/css/ajax_m2m_widget.css"/>

thanks,

regards,