I'm using MySQL 5.1.33
I shifted the db engine to MyISAM from INNODB and everything worked
like a charm. Then I switched it back to INNODB to test the pythonic
workarounds from
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/e25cec400598c06d/55fa3724d2754013?#55fa3724d2754013

'set transaction isolation level read committed' did not fix the
problem, however 'set autocommit=1' did give the daemon realtime
visibility into what the web interface was doing.

Thanks for you help and for giving me something exciting to play with
over the weekend :)