I'm trying to get my django site under tests.  I've started testing my
pages using Client('url/to/my/page'), but I noticed that each test takes
about a second to run (just to get a response code for the page--very
basic tests).

First of all, it seems like the client go through all the usual
apparatus of the django framework, including URLs, views, middlewares,
and templates.  Is this the case?

This is useful, but also more of a functional test than a unit test.
I'd like to get tests going that can run faster, and properly test only
the view in question.  Does django provide any conveniences for this?

Failing that, I can probably manually instantiate a Request object, just
call the view function, and test the condition of the response object,
but I wanted to get some feedback on what others are doing, too.

Cheers,
Cliff