On Jul 15, 5:43 pm, Alex Gaynor <alex.gay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Emily Rodgers <
>

> emily.kate.rodg...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 15, 4:19 pm, Emily Rodgers <emily.kate.rodg...@googlemail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Hi Richard,
>
> > > I have been having a go at this lately [1], and what I posted seems to
> > > work to an extent, but I am currently having some m2m field problems
> > > (not problems with foreign keys though), so what I posted may be
> > > flawed.
>
> > > Alex G is working on getting proper support added to django for google
> > > summer of code 2009, so hopefully it will be in a future release of
> > > django :-)
>
> > > Em
>
> > > [1]
> >http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/af3a...
>
> > I have figured out why the m2m field problems were happening (although
> > not fixed it elegantly yet). When I figure out how to prevent the
> > problem, I will reply to the other thread (where my suggested
> > workaround it).
>
> > Em
>
> Unfortunately because of the way m2ms are done in Django right now working
> with any db besides the default is nearly impossible (they import a raw
> connection and do queries).  I have a branch on github where I've rewritten
> m2ms to use an internal model so we don't have this problem.
> Alex
>
> --
> "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to
> say it." -- Voltaire
> "The people's good is the highest law." -- Cicero
> "Code can always be simpler than you think, but never as simple as you want"
> -- Me

I think for my system it isn't too much of a problem because I only
need to add / delete m2m relationships from my main database (not
secondary), but I will have to make sure I document it well! As I have
said before, I am so happy that someone is working on this because it
will make django so much more flexible. Thanks for your work Alex, it
is much appreciated.

Em :-)