Karen, Luke, thank-you both for replying.

Luke, there isn't an error message as such, it's just that the Entry
model disappears from the admin. If I try to go directly to an entry
page URL I get a 404. As soon as I go back to using list_filter =
('competition', 'division') it's ok. I've tried
('Competition.startDate', division) as you suggested,
('self.competition.startDate', division) and
('entry.competition.startDate', division). None of them work.

Karen, sounds like you might be right. If I can have a foreignKey
field in list_filter that would mean 'competition' is ok, but
'competition.startDate' isn't a foreignKey, right?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
Steve