On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 06:28 -0700, lfrodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've developed a special Auth backend for a internal communication
> protocol. Everything was ok but now the requirements changed and I
> need to allow on the same browser (in diferent tabs) several logged
> users.
>
> How can I have (in the same browser process) several logged users at
> the same time?

This is not particularly easy, but it's not impossible. The default
Django session/auth combination stores the current sessionid in a
cookie. That cookie is per-browser (since that's how cookies work), so
you need to avoid collisions there.

In fact, it seems like you'll have to end up writing your own session
replacement and auth middleware to correctly set the User instance in
the session. There's really no way to know which tab or window submitted
the URL from a single browser, so you'll also need to include some
information about hte current user in the URL so that the server side
can work out which user you're meant to be inpersonating for this
particular request.

This is why RESTful design encourages staying away from cookies for this
sort of purposes, because it's not stateless. Django's session framework
is not RESTful and you're seeing the results of that.

Regards,
Malcolm