I wrote a simple app that may be useful for avatar management:
http://bitbucket.org/kmike/django-generic-images/wiki/Home

It's similar to django-tagging in aspect that images can be attached
to any model using generic relations and then fetched in a few sql
queries.

Avatar-uploading view example can be found in another app
(upload_main_image view):
http://bitbucket.org/kmike/django-photo-albums/wiki/Home

However it is easy to write your own view or combine it with profile
editing view.