Hi Peter,

Thanks for your input, but I am afraid to say that you are indeed
wrong =( Ha.

The user that I am trying to login as (me) has superuser premissions;
by no errors, I mean that I get a plain login form - no red box
telling me something went wrong.

Thanks again for the input, and I'll grab a look at your app if I have
time, although I can't promise to be of much help, as I had help from
my department's LDAP guy to get the sasl bind working.

Meanwhile, the mystery continues - any other suggestions, folks?