I think you are right that a ModelAdmin definition must exist for it.
But I have been digging for it and can't seem to find it.

I am seeking to place a button on that page that will allow the user
to update the permissions the user can have. I have a function written
in my model that creates permissions based on something on another
server. The staff that are giving the users their permissions need a
way to update the permissions manually. Any suggestions? I have easily
made it to where the permissions update when a new user is created.
But I need a button for manual updates.

Thanks,
Brandon