I'm using it, without macports or fink.  Although I'm having problems
with sqlite3 (posted here yesterday), I'd say things are going a lot
smoother than when I was trying things with my previous system.

I have decided not to put either macports or fink on the machine.  So
far, I've not needed them, and it is a great relief, not having to
mess about with them.

Note: my sqlite3 problem relates to permissions, since I'm running a
deployment system, not a development system, and so I need to let user
_www (apache) and myself both access the database and other files.  I
think if you're running a development server with sqlite3, things will
go smoothly.  (As for mysql and postgress, I had problems installing
both.  I may need to return to one of them, if I can't get this
sqlite3 working.)

Dan.