On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Tim Chase
<django.us...@tim.thechases.com>wrote:

> Last year, the wifey finally convinced me to let go of the even
> older machine (133MHz with 96 megs of memory and a 800x600 CRT :)
> running OpenBSD.

Yeah, you've got me beat.  I do still have the IBM AT I had in college, with
its roomy 10M (or was it 20M?) hard drive, mono screen, and I don't recall
how much memory, running DOS.  But it's been in a closet for more than a
decade (no, I don't have a good reason for keeping it).

> > Two other ideas -- what else are you running on this when you run the
> > tests?  The 15 minutes in my case was with basically nothing else running
> > (with just 384M memory it's easy to overload this poor box).  I tried a
> 2nd
> > run after starting a couple of browsers so that the memory was
> > overcommitted, and the testing wall clock time went up to 24 minutes.
>
> Thunderbird for mail and Midori for browsing are open in the
> background, but neither should be overly active.  I tried without
> Midori and it came out about 5 mins faster.  I'll try re-running
> with no other big contenders for the CPU, but they lie pretty
> dormant overnight.

I was more thinking memory than CPU.  Sure if they're idle and memory is
constrained they should get swapped out in favor of what's actively running,
but if they're waking up periodically to see what's happening in the world
that could be causing some swapping, which could be contributing to the
slowness.

Karen